George W. Reed of West Boylston built the pipe organ, and was completed and installed in 1905. George was the son of Ruben Reed who was a tinkerer, carpenter, and cabinet maker who dabbled in organ building. George learned the basics of the organ building business from his father and continued with that part of it employing as many as four men, depending upon the demand for instruments.
George built all the wooden parts of the Charlton organ including the wooden parts and the case, which is made from ash, a very durable wood. He ordered his pipes and metal parts from organ supply houses, installed them and tuned them himself. It is not known who painted the well-preserved design on the case pipes.